Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Intimately known and loved

 Based on Psalm 139

When we listen to the words of the Bible, we listen for what God might be saying to us and we reflect on the words together. Bible passages can generate a range of responses within us. In a Psalm like this one some of us may hear these words and feel comfort, wonder, and gratitude. Others may feel exposed, uncertain, or even uncomfortable. That is O.K. The Psalms give us room to bring our whole selves before God including our joy, our questions, our doubts, and our hopes.

Whenever I hear the words of this Psalm, I am constantly drawn to one phrase. I have something in my suitcase which captures that for me.

(Take out knitting needles and wool. Helen to come and sit and knit.)

The phrase that stands out for me is, “For you created my inmost being.You knit me together in my mother's womb.”

There are an intimacy and sentimentality in this phrase that runs through the whole Psalm. For me it creates an interesting image of God and recalls memories of my own mother who loved knitting. Although, the word knit in the Psalm doesn'y mean knitting in this sense the way we coudl interpret the phrase creates an intersting image of God.

I wonder when someone uses the word God what you might picture. For me one image that comes to mind is of a woman knitting. Just as I can see my mother knitting, I see God sitting like a woman knitting us together.

This imagery is accompanied by the idea that God knows us so closely and watches over us like a caring mother would.

The idea that God watches us so closely might feel a little bit uncomfortable for some people, but I have a sense of deep reassurance and care that God would hem us in with love.

“You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.”

The good news is that God’s intimate knowledge of us and desire for us is that we might live a rich and abundant life. Whilst this may not always be our experience of life we can hold on to the words of Psalms like this one when we are going through a rough patch and maybe even in those times we will know and feel God’s love hemming us in and holding us up.




No comments:

Post a Comment