Thursday 10 June 2010

Where do we meet Jesus?

by Peter Lockhart

So often we as Christians take a stance of superiority in our engagement with the world around us. We assume that we are the ones who have something to offer - that we have Jesus. Yet Jesus speaking to his disicples about how we will be judged in the future suggests that it is not we who have Jesus but we who are to meet Jesus in others. In Matthew 25, Jesus declares:

"I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcoemd me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

Whilst we may be gathered into being the body of Chirst when we worship each week on a Sundayand know Jesus' presence there through the power of the Holy Spirit. What might it mean for us to seek to meet Jesus, incarnated (made flesh) in the lives of others - possibly even the "least of these" and the "lost sheep" for whom we believe Jesus came into the world and who so often remains anonymous to us in these situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment